Friday 7 December 2012

Creative Christmas: Crocheted Christmas Wreath

Christmas is well and truly on it's way, and it comes in the form of a sudden downfall of snow here in Hamburg. BRRRRRRRR it is chilly!!! Thank God I've been wrapped up nice and warm at home working on another 'Creative Christmas' project! This time my project takes the form of a happy Christmassy wreath!

Last month for my Birthday my fabulous friends bought me an assortment of craft supplies to use as I pleased. Amongst these supplies was a straw wreath, ready to be decorated. I've been working on it at a nice leisurely pace over the past few weeks.


I started by crocheting a stripy sleeve for my wreath. I made it out of an assortment of green "Rico creative cotton".


I wrapped it around my wreath and sewed it together on the underside of the wreath.


A stripey green hoop! Nothing too festive though :-( I think it could do with some decorations! :-)

A cute crocheted rose by June Gilbank.


and once again some Jolly Holly by Lucy at Attic24, In a variety of bright and happy colours!


I carefully arranged my decorations on my wreath and once I was happy with the positioning, I secured them with a good helping of glue.


Finally I made some lovely crocheted stars using a pattern that Dennis had made up. (yes...that's right Dennis is back in town and we've been hanging out. He wants to say a big "HELLO" to you all and hopes you are all doing well!?).
Dennis very kindly let me share his pattern with you all. You can find this amazing tutorial for "Simple Crocheted Stars" here on my blog or as a PDF, ready for free Ravelry download!


I added some beads and bells to my crocheted star and added it to my wreath.


Finally some more beads and string to hang my wreath up with. This is what I came up with!



Sure the bright colours are not traditionally Christmassy, but the happiness and cheerfulness couldn't be more Christmassy to me!


AAAAH Creative Christmassy Bliss!!!
Until next time!


This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful,well organized and elegant decoration.You are wonderful.Thanks for the tips and tutorials.Happy Holidays !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you are so talented and so creative and your photo layouts are magazine worthy! You have a future in advertising if you ever want to do that instead of what you're doing. I love your wreath!!!

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's too good, Matt! magical wreath, love the star hanging invisibly in the middle! great tutorial as well, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Teresa typed, Matt! And thank you so much for the star pattern, too. I have been wanting to find such a pattern and am eager to try this one:) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and creative ! You are really getting ready for Christmas. That is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love it!! The brighter the better.... :) Love your painted chest of drawers too..I would paint everything given half a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With things like give me more desire to celebrate Christmas, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! So cheerful and festive!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool!!!! I love it!! I love all the Christmas things you are doing!!! Snow......I love snow.....wish we had some...so far to warm.....but there is still time!!! So happy Dennis home ...hope your having fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good golly.... You're tempting me to ADD to my already too long Christmas project list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous wreath, you are so talented!I am happy about Dennis being back.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Matt - the wreath is so cheerful and colourful. I like Rico Creative cotton and its nice when there is a pattern that uses a yarn you already have in your stash (yep I have almost every colour from the range!) Have a lovely weekend. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Don't know where I would find the wreath, here in the Limousin though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so beautiful and colourful!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's stunning Matt - makes me smile with all the beautiful colours and crochet goodness. Thanks for linking to the holly & star patterns, I think I'll go add those to my Ravelry queue...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Rainbows make everything better :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incredibly wonderful ... like everything you do ... oh, I'm impressed with all of your creations ... Congratulations, a great job. Oh, and I loooooove the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful Christmas wreath, it may not be traditional colours but its definitely full of Christmas cheer which is more important :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! I made 20 of your cute little snowflakes last weekend! Love them! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely!! thank you for sharing.
    I am in the middle of my own wreath at the moment - although its still a work in progress!
    loving your blog
    bestest to you and yours
    Daisy J

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Matt...GORgeous as always! I especially love the last photo, soo pretty and festive. I fear my own wreath will be very OTT compared to yours haha!
    Lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Matt! Tomorrow I will publish a post for your blog.
    Thanks for sharing! Thanks for everything!
    I loooooooooove, looooooove your blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, Matt!
    I visited your blog yesterday for the first time and I´m totally in love with it!! The colours, the photos, the perfect stitches - gorgeous!!! :)
    Best regards, from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  24. Being a long time knitter, crochet has always eluded me! I've been teaching myself when I stumbled across your blog.
    Thank you for all the fab resources/patterns/inspiration and gorgeous looking projects, absolutely fab!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Matt you could work as a window dresser or set designer when/if you ever want to change careers, you're so good at displaying your craft. This wreath looks really good, well done.
    Helloooo back to Dennis, glad he's around again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Matt,

    my name is isabel, I´m from Spain and Inever comment your post because may english is very poor.

    But today I need say this wreath is very very beatiful, wonderful and very original colours.

    Excuse me for the mistakes and thank you for your work

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  28. How do you make the stars you added to the wreath??? I love your projects they are all good.

    ReplyDelete